Saturday, March 8, 2008

Camille's First Cake

Camille told me that for her birthday she wanted supplies to make cakes. I spent nearly my entire birthday budget and bought her everything both local craft stores and brought it home. She got it all out last Sunday and played with it a bit making some buttercream frosting. After that she told me that she wanted to start out with a small cake... if you know me you know what my next response was "NONESENSE!" I told her that if she was going to do it she was going to do it all the way. We started last night around 6 thinking we could do a practice run and then make a real cake for dinner with my family tomorrow. We were up until 2 in the morning just trying to get the three tiers covered in fondant. We went to bed and got up around 10ish today to decorate. Another 4-5 hours latter we have, what we feel, is a pretty good first attempt. Take a look at Camille's first cake ever.

Needless to say we are glad it is all done. If it looks packed with stuff you are right. We decided that since we have all this groovy stuff for making cakes we might as well use it all. As a result this cake is covered from top to bottom. I kept pushing her to cram more stuff onto it and use different tools.

Whether it is edible or not is yet to be seen. It is a coconut cream cake with cream cheese filling and LOADS of standard fondant for decoration. We will unleash this confection on my unsuspecting family at our dinner tomorrow night in honor of the birthday girl and master chef, Camille.

News of sugar commas to follow...

2 comments:

Becca said...

So cute! Do you guys watch "Ace of Cakes" on the Food Network? We love that show- It would be so fun to do that for a living. Look forward to seeing more to come. :)

The Gray Fam said...

Holy crap! That is pretty freaking awesome. I would have never known that it was your first one!!!


Amber :)